...at it seems so according to criteria in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. (I'm not a professional in a psychological field. I'm simply looking at the professionals' documented criteria.)
As most probably know by now, last night at the VMA Awards Kanye jumped up on the stage, took the mic from Taylor Swift who was in the middle of her thoughts on winning the award for Best Video of the Year, and shouted to everyone how Beyonce should have won. (Click here to watch.)
This is not the first time he's taken the mic from a person accepting a once-in-a-lifetime award.
Then there are other such tirades.
According to wikipedia,
"Narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) is a personality disorder defined by the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, the diagnostic classification system used in the United States, as 'a pervasive pattern of grandiosity, need for admiration, and a lack of empathy.'"The manual says it's indicated by five (or more) of the following:
- Has a grandiose sense of self-importance
- Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty or ideal love (megalomania)
- Believes they are "special" and can only be understood by, or should associate with, people (or institutions) who are also "special" or of high status
- Requires excessive admiration
- Has a sense of entitlement
- Is interpersonally exploitative
- Lacks empathy
- Is often envious of others or believes others are envious of him or her
- Shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes
You be the judge.